Friday, April 2, 2010

Capello invites David Beckham to World Cup 2010

England coach Fabio Capello has invited David Beckham to join the England squad at the World Cup 2010 in South Africa, despite the midfielder's ankle injury.

"We have asked Beckham to come to South Africa with us," Capello said. "It depends on him and how his tendon injury is," continued the Italian. "It's obvious he won't be able to play because we have to wait six months."

Beckham had surgery in Finland on Monday but the former England captain, 34, will not be fit for South Africa. England and Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick says that Beckham's presence within the World Cup party would be welcomed by the squad.

"I think the manager has invited him along in some capacity and however he comes along I'm sure for the lads in the squad it will be good to see him," he said. "It will give the lads a big boost because he's just got that presence, and great players have that. He's got that all-round presence that people respond to."

Beckham, England's most capped outfield player with 115 appearances, had been bidding to become the first England player to feature in four successive World Cup finals.

No comments: